.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Spectrum 10k Race Report

Spectrum 10k Race Report
I was going to start this blog out saying
"I think I could've done better here" or "Here's where I should've improved" - But quite frankly I'm surprised I did as well as I did. 

I raced the Georgia Atlanta Spartan Sprint last week, and I was still pretty fatigued.  And add to that 3 other races in 6 weeks, I was due for a break.  Two days before the race I tried adding a measely 800 m at race pace into my run, and I was just too breathy to complete it.
Plus, I didn't feel like I had the "fight" in me - It usually takes a few weeks to get that back after racing
So I came in with no expectations (well maybe a little) and a hope to be able to hold a respectable time.
 
You start the race halfway into the BREATHTAKING Snow Canyon Park. 

Seriously Amazing!
A bus shuttled us in, and it was quite nippy at the starting line.  I got a 1 mile warm up in and chugged some MAMA CHIA. 

Standing at the starting line felt a bit foreign - I hadn't ran a 10k, or a non obstacle race, in over a year.  i hadn't trained for this - tempo runs and most street runs weren't even part of my workout anymore.  I stood there with my running center girls - Amber Green, Marci Jacobsen,  Jessica Brazzeel  and it felt good to be part of the "family" again. 
I'm not gonna lie - it was a far different starting line than a Spartan obstacle race.  The men and ladies had lean runner's bodies - not the bulging muscles that I was accustomed to at Spartans. And there were a lot more shirts on. 

So we started off - and it felt GOOD to be able to get into a rhythm and go.  The first mile has a pretty good downhill, and then they roll after that. It is ran through a BEAUTIFUL Snow Canyon State Park, and then out into surrounding neighborhoods.  The second half has more inclines than declines. Here are my splits.
5:20
5:44
5:40
5:55
6:18 (eke!)
6:05
So the wheels came off a little at the end,and I was feeling the past week's fatigue. I ran a little too conservatively on the downhill portions to make up the split between 1st place (Amber Green) and I.  She really took off from the get go, and I just couldn't close the gap. 
But considering how I felt 2 days prior, I need to be SUPER happy with my performance and chalk it up to a great training run. 

I have to say the finish line goodies were wonderful for my sweet tooth:)  Lucky Charms, Popsicles, bananas, grapes, yum.  And I loved being clean!
 
So I came in 2nd place and a $50 gift certificate to St George Running Center!

No comments:

Post a Comment